Friday, October 17, 2014

GIVING AN APPROPRIATE CREDIT

CHAPTER 3 :

Assalamualaikum and Selamat Sejahtera


I still remember when I was young; I do not know actually what is documenting evidence. All I know is taking the sources that I’m starving for happily and pretend that is done by me. Hehe. But then it was during my primary school, not so matured yet. When I entered higher institutions then I realised that I’ve done wrong before. I started to learn in depth in my ELC class on how to acknowledge my sources and keep trying to progress myself better on giving citation to the authors from time to time.

Let me tell you a lesson on documenting evidence that I’ve learnt before in my class so that you can also in a long with me to improve and correct yourself. Why do you need to document your sources? Why can’t we just take the ideas just like that ? No one knows we did it right ? This is because the sources that you had got before is not been produce by your own ideas nor thoughts. It is belong to the others and by doing this you are politely showing some respect to the authors. How if the authors read your works without you acknowledge them? Instead of that, it is also to avoid you from doing plagiarism continuously and please take note that plagiarism is a wrong doing approaches. Even if you are copying an image from the internet to put inside your blog or any medium of social networking, you have to cite it clearly so that people might know that those pictures is not yours and also to tell them where they can get those sources. In some cases, if you are taking someone pictures without their permission and you publish it to be your picture of your products, you might be sued by them. That is one of the bad effects of not asking the approval from the owner.

In order to give an acknowledgement you have to know the right manner of citation style. APA-style citation is the best way to know the writing style to cite your sources. In APA-style citation there are two main parts :

1. An in-text citation (not a footnote), which is given within the main text of the paper. Also known as parenthetical citation.
2.  An entry is an alphabetical list of references which appears at the end of the paper

Next, in order to write a reference list, we need to know the difference between the bibliography and a list of references. Bibliography may contain all the entries of the reference list and other additional works, while a reference contain only the sources that you have cited. There are a lot of references that you need to cite with a correct and appropriate ways. There are books, periodicals and electronic sources.

I will give you one example that I got from my reference book which entitle ‘Writing with Sources’ written by Dr Krish, Dr Nor Azni and Dr Ahmad Mazli (page 39) on how to cite an articles from an online journal with a DOI.


·         Author’s Last Name, Initial(s) (up to six names). (Year of Publication). Title of article. Title of Journal, Volume(Issues number if paginated by issue), Page(s). doi: DOI number


I really hope that this entry may assist you a little bit to understand about documenting evidences so that you will have an appropriate ways to publish your works, assignment and others. I hope you love the reading and have a wonderful day.

Thanks for reading my entry.









No comments:

Post a Comment